CONTRIBUTING TO THE DISCUSSIONS
Please participate responsibly. The Law Society of Alberta is not responsible for the content of the discussions. It is acting as a host only. Participants should be mindful of their continuing professional and ethical obligations to each other and third parties. The discussions are not moderated but may be monitored periodically by the Practice Advisors. Participants are expected to self monitor the content, and where concerns exist about inappropriate postings, these should be brought to the attention of SoloNet Administration.
Participants are reminded to be aware of their obligations to their clients relating to confidentiality and privilege, and the potential for the development of conflicts of interest when engaging in discussions on SoloNet.
- These discussions are not to be used for commercial purposes. The advertisement or promotion of commercial products or services as well as requests for financial contributions is prohibited.
- Do not forward messages that you receive from SoloNet. Do not post any information to other forums without the express permission of the original e-mail’s author.
- Do not post any defamatory, abusive, threatening, offensive, obscene, or otherwise illegal materials.
The discussions are not actively monitored. However, in the event that any inappropriate postings are brought to our attention, we will take appropriate action which can include removal of the posting and/or termination of participation in SoloNet.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The host only provides the facilities for SoloNet and does not assume any liability arising from any information contained on any post.
- These discussions are not intended to be a substitute for legal research and analysis and all participants are obliged to exercise their own professional judgment when making use of any information discussed on SoloNet. Participants are obliged to independently verify any statements of law, practice, procedure or fact made by any other participant.
- Participants assume all responsibility for any loss which they or any person claiming through them may sustain by reason of assistance offered through SoloNet.
- The host reserves the right to impose sanctions, which include moderating a participant’s posts, suspension of posting privileges, and removal from SoloNet for violation of list rules. Violators will be publicly warned.
- Do not distribute through SoloNet any content such as, petitions for signatures, chain letters or letters relating to pyramid schemes, advertising or solicitations for funds, political campaigning, mass mailings, any form of unsolicited commercial or promotional email (“spam”) or an offering of lawful or fraudulent goods, services, schemes or promotions.
- Do not insult, berate, or personally attack other participants. Do not knowingly post false or misleading information. Do not impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity or interfere with other users of SoloNet.
- Requests by the host to take any topic off SoloNet shall be deemed to terminate that thread.
- Be relevant and concise. Your questions and comments should be relevant to others. Keep paragraphs and messages short and to the point. Give your message a clear subject line.
- Be civil. These discussions should be considered public and are meant for constructive exchanges.
- Please, no offensive jokes, profanity, or vulgarity.
- Non-legal discussions are encouraged but please contain them to the Other Items folder.
- Remember that all discussions can be read by any other participant.
By subscribing to SoloNet, users agree to the terms and conditions contained in these guidelines. These guidelines may be modified from time to time and such modifications shall be effective upon their posting to SoloNet.
Users of SoloNet may be held individually liable for any communications they send through SoloNet, including but not limited to defamatory, discriminatory, anti-competitive, false or unauthorized information.
Users of SoloNet also must comply with copyright, trademark and patent laws and regulations. By posting material on SoloNet, the posting party warrants and represents that it owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. Do not post information or other material that is protected by copyright without the permissions of the copyright owner. If there is any question as to whether a particular transmission contains information in violation of copyright law, the user should not post that information to SoloNet.
The Law Society of Alberta is not responsible for any opinions or statements on SoloNet. In no event will the Law Society of Alberta be responsible to the users for any indirect, consequential, special or punitive damages or losses users may incur in connection with SoloNet or any of the data or other materials transmitted through or residing on SoloNet, even if the Law Society of Alberta has been advised of the possibility of such damage or loss.